NEW ELECTION SYSTEM
2018 Clint ISD Board Elections
Clint ISD has a new election system. Election of Board members shall be a combination of "At Large" and by "Single-Member Districts" and consist of seven members. Five of the Trustee positions will be elected from Single-Member Districts and the other two positions will be elected At-Large for four-year terms.
Candidates for Single-Member District positions must reside within the boundaries of that district. Candidates for At-Large positions may live anywhere within the boundaries of the Clint Independent School District.
All Registered voters residing in the school district may vote for the At-Large Position A. Registered voters who reside within a particular Board of Trustee District may vote in that respective district.
A General Election will be held on November 6, 2018 for the purpose of electing four (4) School Board Trustees (Single -Member District 1, Single-Member District 2, Single-Member District 4 , and an At-Large Position A ) to serve on the Clint ISD School Board.
- Clint ISD Policy: BBB (LOCAL)
- Single-Member District Map
Board Terms of Expiration
The election of one Board member (At-Large A) shall be held in 2018, 2022, 2026, and in four-year intervals thereafter.
The election of one Board member (At-Large B) shall be held in 2020, 2024, 2028, and in four-year intervals thereafter.
The at-large candidates receiving the highest number of votes for the number of positions with expiring terms shall be elected.
The election for single-member district numbers 1, 2, and 4 shall be held in 2018, 2022, 2026, and in four-year intervals thereafter.
The election for single-member district numbers 3 and 5 shall be held in 2020, 2024, 2028, and in four-year intervals thereafter.
To be elected, a single-member district candidate must receive more votes than any other candidate for the single-member district.
Becoming a Clint ISD Board Member
What Positions are up for 2018 Election?
- November 2018: Single-Member District 1 , Single-Member District 2 , Single-Member District 4 , & At-Large Position A
- November 2020: Single-Member District 3, Single-Member District 5, At-Large Position B
Who is eligible to serve as a Clint ISD school board member?
Candidates interested in running for a Clint ISD school board of trustee must meet the following qualifications:
- A qualified/registered voter.
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable.
- A resident of the district he or she desires to represent for six months before the filing deadline.
- A resident of the state for 12 months before the deadline.
- Not be mentally incapacitated (as defined in policy).
- Have not been convicted of a felony (as defined in policy).
See Clint ISD Policy: BBA(LEGAL) for details on the above qualifications and other specific requirements.
Is there special training involved in being a school trustee?
Trustees are required by Texas law and commissioner of education rules to participate in three types of continuing education:
- An orientation to local district policy and to the laws affecting public education in Texas.
- An annual team-building activity, taken in conjunction with the rest of the board and the superintendent.
- A specified number of hours each year in areas of special need. Board members determine needs with their board annually by reviewing the Framework for School Board Development, a document that outlines the tasks an effective board performs in its governing capacity. Continuing education courses that address these needs are available through a variety of sources.