Special education counselors work with students with special needs who are in the special education program in elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools, to ensure they have the support services they need in order to achieve their highest potential in the areas of academics, personal and social growth, and career development.
This is accomplished by working with students in the areas of social, emotional, and behavioral growth in a variety of settings, including one-on-one counseling, group counseling, and indirect services providing recommendations to teachers in accordance with the needs of the student.
Our counselors may be reached at 915-926-8500, or via email.
Amelia Leony-Carrete, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sonia Galvan, email@example.com
Omar Torres, firstname.lastname@example.org
Counseling Resources for Students and Parents:
- Transitioning Back to School after COVID-19
- Helping Children Cope With Changes Resulting From COVID-19 (This resource is for parents)
- Coping With Back-to-School Anxiety Related to COVID-19
- I’m a Teen and I Am Terrified to Be Back in School in a Pandemic
- Coping With Anxiety About Going Back to School
- Explaining Coronavirus to children:
- A story to help children understand Coronavirus
- Julia Cook, "The Yucky Bug"
- Autism Speaks Resources: COVID-19 Social Stories
- Children and COVID-19 from the CDC
- Sesame Street and Caring for Each Other
- Anger Management:
Middle School and High School:
- Stress Resources
- Social Distancing
- Time to Come In book - Read Aloud
- APPS for students with Special Needs/ Aplicaciones de iPad para estudiantes con necesidades especiales
- Academic Resources/Recursos académicos
- Distance Learning for Students with Special Needs
- Homeschooling a child with ADHD
- All the Ideas in One Place
- Math Tutoring for Middle School and High School
- Books in Spanish/ Libros en Espanol