Creating Accessible Content
Checklist for WCM Content Editors
When creating content, there are a few basic steps that should be followed in order to assure your content is accessible.
- Add built-in Headings to document and did not skip numbers (e.g. jumping from Heading 1 to Heading 3)
- Use built-in List options (e.g. bullets or numbers)
- Add Alt Text for all links
- Add Alt Text for all images
- Defined Table Headers and simplified Tables as much as possible
Use the built-in Heading styles like “Heading 1″ and “Heading 2″. Making text larger and bold does not make it a heading. Try not to skip headings. After a heading has been selected, you are able to edit the font, size and other attributes if you do not like the built-in look.
Use the built-in options like bullets or numbers. Without using these, a list is not really a list to those using an outside program to read the document. Both numbered and bulleted lists are customizable. Just click on the arrow adjacent to the desired list button and select “Define New Bullet/Number Format” for a different design if you do not like the built-in options.
Add alternate text for Images, Links, and Uploaded Files
It’s recommended to provide the description of the images, links, and uploaded files.