Clint High School 2022-2023 Attendance Policy & Procedures
Regular attendance is an essential aspect of every student’s success. Texas state law requires school aged children to attend school each day that instruction is provided. With a minimum attendance of no less than 90% of the instructional day is required by law, Clint High School upholds the highest academic standards, to include attendance, and strives to achieve no less than 97% attendance for all students. Your child receives the maximum educational benefit by being in school every day.
If a student has an unexcused absence or has exceeded five parent excused absences, the student will begin to lose the privilege to participating in school activities as determined by school administration. This policy in no way takes the place of any other contract, the Student Code of Conduct, Loss of Credit Contracts, or any policies or procedures of Clint ISD or state law.
All students will follow the attendance conditions listed below to the satisfaction of the campus administration. Effective immediately:
- Students must not have an unexcused absence or tardy from any class. Unexcused absences and/ or excessive tardies will result in loss of privileges and disciplinary action such as detention or community service hours. If a student accumulates three (3) unexcused absences in a four (4) week period or ten (10) in a six-month period of time the student and their parent/ guardian will be subject to court filing for failure to attend school and/ or contributing to non-attendance.
- Student attendance in all classes must conform to all school and state policies. Teachers may have individual classroom discipline plans for students that are tardy to their class.
- In accordance with Clint ISD policy, parents can excuse their child’s absence no more than five (5) times by a note per school year. After the fifth parent note, only doctor’s, dentist’s, immigration, and court notes will be excused.
- To participate in school activities, receive a verification of enrollment, and maintain school privileges, a student must have zero unexcused absences, no more than five absences excused by a parent note and must be present for at least four (4) academic periods of the day, regardless of the reason they were absent for part of the day. School activities include, but are not limited to, school sponsored dances, athletic events, sports team participation, senior activities, and pep rallies.
- Doctor’s notes, court excuses, school business and other such excused absences are at the discretion of administration will not count towards loss of attendance credit.
- Students will only be excused for doctor’s appointments for the duration of the appointment plus reasonable travel time to and from the appointment. Failure to come to school before an appointment or return after the appointment will result in an unexcused absence for a portion of the day. Such absence will also result in loss of privileges and potential court filing.
- All notes for excused absences must be received within 48 hours of a student’s absence.
- All students failing to meet the 90 percent compulsory attendance requirement per semester will be reviewed by the campus attendance improvement committee, regardless of reason for absences.
- The student are responsible for completing all make-up work and attending any tutorial required by a teacher or administrator.
Students meeting the 97 percent attendance goal with no unexcused absences will be eligible for incentives such as gift cards, t-shirts, and pizza parties.